Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year 2011, or, "Oh Promise Me"

  The New Year is here! 


No written resolutions this year!

 I have found all of the tear-stained, wrinkled lists with notes of promises I have made over the last few New Years.  Almost none of them were accomplished, so why disappoint myself again?

 I do not weigh 115 pounds,  have not given up wine, do not feel appreciation for the folks I told myself I would "try to love," and I still have negative thoughts when my alarm goes off, so, apparently, I am not waking on a positive note each day, as I had said I would do. Case closed.

HOWEVER:  If I were to make some New Years resolutions this year, this is what I would write:

1.  Love my job:  I will get up and smile as I drive to my workplace, enjoy every productive moment of each and every day, and know that I am contributing to the betterment of civilization by doing my job.

2.  Love my coworkers:  Even if some walk past me and do not speak, I will say "Good  morning!" with a cheery smile on my face.  I will gladly chip in to any fund for which one of them is collecting. If they volunteer to do more work, I will jump right in there, too, and use up my lunch or planning time to be sure I give my fair share of "extra," also.

3. Lose those extra pounds:  I will give up wine, butter, cookies, cake, ice cream, cheesy Mexican food, all things delicious and chewy,  pizza, The Macaroni Grill, and the Food Network.  I will not watch the Barefoot Contessa make something yummy and then rush out and buy the ingredients.  I will forego reading recipes in magazines, and no longer leave drool marks on those pages.

4. Exercise:  (Oh yeah........)  I will spend an hour a day doing some form of exhausting physical thing to pump up my heart rate, burn calories and get my metabolism up "there," wherever that is.  I will actually SWEAT............but just a bit.  I will not only WEAR the pedometer, I will keep on walking if it has not hit the magic 10,000 steps per day, instead of just sighing and saying, "Gee, I only went 4,000 steps today. It seemed like more."

5. Forgive people.  I will wear the badge of acceptance of others, and if one offends me in any way, I will hold myself to a higher standard and LET IT GO. I will not allow myself to become ill by carrying a grudge around. 

6. Become organized:  Every desktop, home or work, will have no piles of unfinished clutter.  All paperwork  will be filed immediately instead of laying in stacks awaiting "the right time."  Dead pens will be tossed out.  I will not keep that old pencil with the dried-up eraser just because it has  sentimental value. Clutter, begone!

7. No more shopping for extra stuff that I don't need.  135 purses is enough and I will NOT bring home another one, no matter how cute or roomy it is or if it matches that odd-colored outfit and I will never see another one like it, or it's on sale even...........

Those are sounds of muffled laughter that you just heard. Guffaw, guffaw...........

THANK GOD  I am not about to write this stuff down, making myself miserably guilty for another year! If I did accomplish those resolutions, a halo should appear over my frizzy head!

Alas !  I am dreading going back to work at the end of vacation.  I do not adore all of my coworkers. (And, I dare say, they don't all love ME, either.)  My desks, both at work AND at home, have mounds of lumpy piles,  and I am NOT givin' up that old pencil from Mount Vernon!  And as for my purse collection: It is what it is: a thing of joy and beauty, giving me pleasure.  If homeless purses call my name, SO BE IT, they may join the crowd!

That one about being cheerful in the morning, though.............I might be able to TRY.  But don't quote me.






copyright: KP Gillenwater