Thursday, December 8, 2011

Weight Watchers Points Plus Chicken Pot Pie......or, "Sing a Song of Sixpence"

Due to the high volume of traffic on my Eggs Benedict recipe, I've decided to share my next-favorite Weight Watchers Points Plus recipe. (I am also sort of off-the-soapbox this week. The holiday mood has taken over........!)

Anyway, back to this delicious meal in one dish..................

This can be made with chicken or turkey. Actually, the reason I decided to share this is because I just made this with my leftover Thanksgiving turkey, and it was, as usual, a huge hit at my house.  Not only is this delicious, but it is almost sinfully easy to make!

                                              Weight Watchers Chicken Pot Pie

You will need:

1 pre-made pie crust from the cooler department at the grocery store. These usually come 2 per package, so save one for the next time!

1 can of mixed vegetables, like Veg-All, drained
1 can fat free cream of chicken soup

2 cups cooked chicken breast, cut up  (I have used the grocery store roasted chicken, skinned and cut up. I have also used canned chicken breast, but real boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cut up, have the least number of calories. If you are using turkey, use the breast for the least fat.)

1/4 cup fat free skim milk
salt and pepper
cooking spray

Spray a pie pan.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

In a bowl, mix the chicken, soup, milk,vegetables, and some salt and pepper, gently.  Pour this mixture into the pie pan and spread evenly. Unroll the pie crust, lay it on top of the pie,  crimping the edges around the top of the pie pan.   Use thin strips of aluminum foil to cover the pie crust edges to prevent them from burning. Make some air vents with a sharp knife in the top of the crust, evenly.

Bake between 20 to 40 minutes. You sort of have to watch it....... When the top crust is golden brown, it is ready.  Let it sit for about 5 minutes before serving.  Cut in fourths.

Now for the really good part:  As a Weight Watcher, you can eat a fourth of this pie!  When I cut it, I like to carefully remove the crust and put it where it won't get soggy. It is sort of like the dessert, it tastes so good!  Be careful to get your fair share of vegetables, too, since there is no bottom crust, and they tend to slide out.

I've added up all the points and divided by four to be able to tell you that this marvelous and filling meal (1/4 of the pie) will deliver 12 Points Plus to your thinning frame.  If this sounds high, remember you are eating a fourth of this pie!  On days I plan to prepare this, I cut back on breakfast and lunch so I can enjoy this feast for dinner!

Enjoy!


Next time, I will be back with my regular words of wisdom, opinion, or memorabilia.  I am gearing up for the holidays right now, and thinking FOOD for the next few weeks. I don't DO cookies...........just healthy low-fat food!  (If you missed the Eggs Benedict recipe, see my October 2, 2011 posting............it's sooooo good!)


copyright:  KP Gillenwater